Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Fostering a rescued animal is an awesome experience.  You are able to discover their personality and help them learn the rules and benefits of being a family pet.  Often the animals you bring into your home have never known human love and affection.  Many have been abused in some way or another, some were family pets given up for one reason or another and have been lonely and scared in the shelter. Having rescued many beagles, I am still amazed at how quickly the dogs I have brought into my home have overcome their past and learned to trust my family, my other pets and enjoy the moment. There is a popular pet trainer on TV that says dogs live in the moment, and I have to agree with him.  There is a potential pitfall to fostering, you could become what we call a " foster failure".  I am happy to say that I have become that many times, sometimes the bond you form with certain pets becomes too strong to break and they become your beloved pet.  I am always happy when the pets I have fostered find wonderful loving homes, and it is a wonderful feeling to know that you were a part of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment